What is Barvember?
What’s the point?
Barvember has been organised to encourage everyone to use the bar model. We believe that the bar model is a useful tool for helping children visualise and then solve maths problems. Even some of the most complex problems can be seen much easier when represented visually.
Barvember provides an opportunity for everyone to just do some maths.
We also want this to be an opportunity to promote the value of making mistakes. Every time you make a mistake, your brain sparks and grows! For this reason, it is important that you find a problem that makes you struggle!
After all ....... getting everything right = no opportunity to learn!
Why should you take part?
You should take part if….
· You want to grow your brain;
· You want to learn from and value mistakes;
· You want to work together;
· You want to enjoy maths.
How do I take part?
· Find a problem that you think you will struggle with to solve from the Barvemeber documents on this page;
· Have a go – remember to use the bar model to help you to understand the problem. If you don’t know or can’t remember what the bar model is, ask someone who does!
· Share your efforts! Remember to share and discuss your mistakes: no mistakes = no struggle = no learning!ter all… getting everything right = no opportunity to learn!
Work together with your partner.
Remember to use RUCSAC!!
Show and explain it to your friends.
Show and explain it to your teacher.
Show and explain it to your family.
CHALLENGE your family!
Show and explain it to your children;
Send it into school with your children;
Email it to school; [email protected]
Show it and explain it to other parents.